Position: Public Policy Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Benefits: Employer paid employee and dependent health, dental, and vision benefits; flexible spending account; short-term disability; long-term disability; retirement plan and employer match; up to 6-months of paid family, medical or bereavement leave; unlimited paid time off; flex time; remote working stipend; wellness stipend; emergency health care stipend; and emergency housing stipends (benefits subject to budget constraints)
Status: Full-time exempt position (32 hour, 4-day work week), occasional evenings and weekends especially during the Texas Legislative Session
Location: Austin, Texas. Avow is an all-remote organization. However, due to the legislative components of this position, preference will be given to applicants who live in Austin
Avow seeks an energetic, strategic, and innovative person to serve as our full time Public Policy Director. The Public Policy Director is responsible for driving Avow’s legislative agenda, local policy, and regulatory work to protect and expand abortion access and reproductive health. They are also responsible for developing strategy and executing Avow’s agenda to achieve tangible, measurable results. They will work closely with the other Avow directors to support management of the organization. They will also work closely with the Political Director and the Executive Director to guide strategic political decisions for the organization. and the Outreach and Organizing Managers to build power at the local level. The Public Policy Director is a critically important role at Avow who must be able to work collaboratively with Avow leadership, external stakeholders, and allies in the space to develop and execute long-range plans to transform the abortion rights landscape in Texas.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Avow, the Public Policy Director will create and implement the organization’s legislative, local policy, and regulatory agenda to advance the vision of abortion access for all Texans. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead the development of policy and advocacy initiatives to protect and expand abortion rights in Texas, including drafting legislation, local policy, and regulations as well as analyzing proposed legislation to determine the possible impact on abortion rights;
- Create and implement strategies for passing legislation to advance abortion rights and defeating anti-abortion initiatives with a focus on organizing Avow members around legislative priorities, including
- Representing Avow in coalitions to advocate for or against legislation;
- Overseeing the preparation of talking points, fact sheets, and testimony for all relevant legislation and regulations;
- Overseeing, incorporating, and coordinating local policy initiatives into the statewide and multi-city policy vision to protect and advance abortion rights in Texas;
- Planning constituent and in-district meetings with legislators for Avow members;
- Working with coalition partners to coordinate policy work, and outreach strategies and messages;
- Working with the Political Director to ensure that work is in line with political and outreach strategies; and
- Creating strategies to educate and organize members in key legislative districts about pro-abortion policies.
- Serve as Avow’s chief lobbyist, responsible for cultivating and maintaining relationships with leaders at the Texas Legislature, the executive branch, and local governments, to protect and expand abortion rights in our state;
- Represent Avow at coalition meetings to advance Avow policy priorities;
- Collaborate with the Communications team in the development of communications strategies based on organizational public policy work;
- Collaborate with Avow’s Political Director, Organizing and Outreach Managers, and Digital Strategist to drive membership engagement with Avow’s legislative, local policy, and regulatory work as well as our public education and research efforts;
- Collaborate with the Development team as needed to communicate our public policy programs to donors;
- Supervise legislative or legal staff, fellows, interns, and lobbyists when appropriate;
- In collaboration with the management team, serve as a thought partner on organization vision, infrastructure, and management of staff.
The following qualifications are essential to the position:
- Committed to protecting and advancing abortion rights and health care access;
- A minimum of two years legislative and/or executive advocacy experience, especially in Texas;
- Ability to draft and analyze legislation, regulations, and assist with accompanying communications materials;
- Ability to present complex concepts to multiple audiences and to advocate the merits of an issue that often evokes strong emotional responses;
- Strategic thinking and planning experience;
- Exceptional attention to detail and can work quickly without sacrificing quality of output;
- Ability to see both the big picture and the little details of a project, while proactively anticipating needs and challenges, and digging into a problem to develop the best possible solution;
- Proven ability to work independently and in a team to solve problems;
- Clear, concise written and oral communication; and
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends during most of the year, and regular weekends and evenings during the legislative session months.
Avow, Inc. is a 501(c) (4) non-profit that works to secure unrestricted abortion access for every Texan. Avow Foundation for Abortion Access is a 501(c) (3) non-profit that works to educate Texans on the importance of abortion access. Avow PAC is a political action committee that works to elect champions for abortion access.
Through community-building, education, and political advocacy, Avow is securing unrestricted abortion care and reproductive rights for every Texan.
Avow is a non-discriminatory workplace and equal opportunity employer. People of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are encouraged to apply.
To apply please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] by June 15, 2022, with an anticipated start date no later than September 19, 2022.
Please note: this job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, or skills for this position and is subject to review and change in accordance with the needs of the organization. Additionally, while the benefits listed are current as of job posting, future configuration is contingent upon budgetary restraints.